I met Steve Jobs several times back in the MySpace days... Oh Steve, oh Steve. You would not be happy with what is going down in Apple land.
Did you ever make a purchase you regret? Probably. I'm sure I've made a few. Do I remember any of them? Not so much. Not until now!!! Usually I would just return the bad purchase. Unfortunately, I'm out of luck when it comes to this new Macbook. It's the most money I've spent on anything that really did not work out. What a buzz kill. You're supposed to feel wonderful... MAGICAL when you buy an Apple product. I feel duped.
Things I dislike about this new machine:
- It's SLOW. Like slower than my 2012-era Macbook PRO. How is that even possible!?
- The battery life sucks. It loses charge so quickly. Just as bad as my old MacBook, which also sucked.
- USB-C dongle madness. Nothing plugs into this thing without an adapter. I literally carry 3 adapters (USB, iPhone, Lightning)
- The new, large touchpad doesn't feel like the old, smaller touchpad that was more responsive. DOH!
- The Touchbar looks neat but is annoying to use -- girls come up to me frequently and say "COOL, can I touch that?" (That part I like)
- The price - I paid nearly $4,000 for a fully loaded machine 16GB memory, 1TB Flash storage, Intel HDGraphics card
What I spent is immoral. I should have built a library in Nepal with that money. Instead, I bought a junky computer that is slower than the one already have which really was kinda OK.
Why oh why did I not return this Lemon? Well, first I didn't use it right away. It took me awhile to load all the software, and migrate everything over. (I use a lot of stuff for my photo processing workflow.) Then I went on a trip to Japan. A trip where I was constantly visiting Apple stores to pick up dongle after dongle. Having no foresight, I visited a store every time I discovered another device I could not plug in. After all this, I was in some remote location where there was no Apple store. By the time I realized I did not want this laptop, it was too late. Plus I'd filled my new Mac up with all kinds of photos that would be a pain to migrate.
GRRR Apple. GRRR.
If you must have an Apple, I'd recommend getting a used one that came out before all this dongle madness. Maybe by the time it feels slow (a few years), Apple will have converted all their products to USB-C, fixed the battery issues in the current Macbook PRO, and sped this thing up. Thumbs down Apple. I like your phone at least.